The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Today Is the 70th Anniversary of Doolittle's Raid

Even though the damage to Japan was insignificant, the impact on American morale and blow to Japanese can never be underestimated. It was the first time Americans had much reason to cheer and the Japanese were sure it just could not happen.

I had hoped to be there in Dayton, Ohio, and would have been had we been able to get tickets to one of the dinners (plus our current gas gouge). Tickets sold out very quickly and I imagine a lot of people will be in Dayton today for other activities.

Most remarkable is that all five surviving Raiders will be on hand for the event. And, later today, there will be a flyover of some 20 B-25 Mitchell bombers, the type of plane used in the attack.

I sure would have liked to be there. I'm sure there will be fewer Raiders next year.

To Some Mighty Significant Men of the Greatest Generation. --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment