The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Saturday, July 28, 2012

North Carolina's Military History Museum-- Part 2

The place is designed with the military unit called Old Hickory in mind, the North Carolina National Guard's30th Enhanced Heavy Separate Brigade and its predecessors.  But, all branches have a part in the displays.

Along one wall are several letters from Pfc Roy West to his parents.  Part of one dated April 21, 1945 reads, "I hope to have time to write more now for we are not in any battle now.  It sure is nice to be where you can't hear any guns firing."

There is also a display of a 1944 Army Signal Corps Command Post under a small olive drab cloth with a typewriter on top of a field desk.  A sergeant's jacket rests over the back of a fold up chair and a mess kit sits beside a field telephone.

Wished I had remembered I Had Written It Down Two Years Ago.  Maybe Now That I Have Entered It in My Blog, I Will the Next Time I'm In the Area.  --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment