The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Why the USS North Carolina's Bow Faces Away from Wilmington

From the Wilmington Star-News' My Reporter column.

I love this column as it is reporting at its best.  Readers write in with questions and the reporters try to find the answers.  All sorts of interesting stuff.

I had always wondered myself why the stern of the battleship faces the city.  The bow would definitely be more impressive (well, every aspect of the great ship is impressive.  I am so glad the ship was saved.)

A reader wrote in the question and this was the answer.

When the ship arrived in 1961, it was understandably towed bow first.  Taking into account the Cape Fear River's width by the final berth, the tugs had to start turning the ship before the bend to get an angle into the slip.

They couldn't tow the battleship past the berth and back it in because of the lack of room for the needed turn.

So, That's Why.  --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment