The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The RMS Aquatania-- Part 1

From Wikipedia.

On Nov. 7th and 9th I wrote about the World War II memorial in Brookfield set up to honor Mike Butkovich who owned the bar next to it and who was killed in the war and others from the neighborhood who served as well.  As usual, this story led to other stories like Camp Blanding in Florida where he trained (and I wrote about Nov. 9th).

Then, I saw that he crossed the Atlantic on the RMS Aquatania on which his father had sailed to Europe in 1928.  I'd never heard of the ship.


THE RMS AQUATANIA

Was a Cunard ocean liner built in 1913 and bore a strong resemblance to the much-more famous RMS Titanic, a big reason why it was built.  The ship was 901 feet long and weighed 45,647 tons.  It was one of the Cunard Line's "Grand Trio" which also included the RMS Mauretania and RMS Lusitania.  These ships were built to battle the Titanic and its sisters, the Britannic and Olympic.

At the end of its career, it was the last four-funnel ship surviving and earned the nickname "Ship Beautiful."

It was used as a troopship in World War I and World War II.

After World War I, it became one of the most popular Atlantic liners.

More to Come.  --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment