The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Monday, September 30, 2013

Wilmington's Military Cutoff Road-- Part 1


In the last blog entry, I mentioned this road. I've been through the Wilmington area many times but am unfamiliar with the name, but obviously it is a major road with lots of traffic. And anyone who knows anything about Wilmington knows that there is lts of traffic--everywhere!!

From the June 10, 2009 Wilmington (NC) Star-News My Reporter "Why do they call it Military Cutoff?" by Ben Steelman.

I've also seen it called Military Cut-off Road.

It dates to World War II when Army vehicles used the route as a shortcut from Camp Davis (now Holly Ridge, NC) to Wrightsville Beach, bypassing downtown Wilmington.

Now, it is a major commercial thoroughfare with Mayfaire Town Center, Landfall Shopping Center, The Forum and other complexes. It has also become a major congestion problem.

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment