The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Montford Point Marines Honored With Memorial-- Part 1

From the July 28, 2016, Fox Wilmington (NC) "Montford Point Marines to be honored with Memorial Friday" by Ashlea Kosikowski.

These Marines were the first blacks admitted to the United States Marine Corps and they were recognized Friday during the dedication of the National Montford Marine Point Memorial.

The ceremony will take place at 9 a.m. at the Lejeune Memorial on Montford Landing Road and NC Highway 24.

Several of the Marines who trained there will be in attendance, including F.M. Hooper Junior.

He recalled, "One of the happiest days of my life was when I graduated from basic training at Montford Point and I became a Marine.  My drill inspector said now you can wear the eagle, globe and anchors."

Long Overdue.  --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment