The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Monday, June 4, 2018

Chicago Beach Hotel (Hospital)-- Part 1: A Luxury Hotel


From Wikipedia.

In my June 2 post, I wrote about art teacher Miss Miner from Sycamore High School (Illinois) who was to teach manual arts to disabled soldiers recovering in Chicago area military hospitals.  One of those was the Great Lakes Naval Hospital in North Chicago.  I'd, however, never heard of the Chicago Beach Hospital.

This hospital was originally a hotel.

The Chicago Beach Hotel was originally a luxury resort hotel at 1660 Easy Hyde Park Boulevard.  It was built in 1892 for the Columbian Exposition and boasted 450 rooms and 175 bathrooms.

In 1921, a 12-story building with 545 rooms was constructed on the eastern portion and the original hotel was demolished in 1927.

--GreGen


No comments:

Post a Comment