The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Thursday, December 6, 2018

The WW II Service of George H.W. Bush-- Part 1: Rescue By USS Finback


George Bush was the only survivor and he waited for hours in an inflated raft while several U.S. fighters circled overhead to protect him.  he was finally rescued by the submarine USS Finback.  He remained on that ship for the next month and participated in the rescue of other aviators.

Several of the Americans shot down in the attack on Chichijima were killed by their Japanese captors and their livers eaten.

This experience affected Bush intensely for the rest of his life.  He often said, "Why had I been spared and what did God have for me?"

For more on his World War II service, see my other blogs for today.  All were about him in the war.  Go to My  Blog List to the right of this.

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment