The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Thursday, April 9, 2020

Roadtrippin' Through History: HMS Venturer (P68)-- Part 1, A Famous Submarine


This is part of my Roadtrippin' Through History where I start with a story, even one from another blog, and continue to dig deeper and see where I end up.  This is kind of like going to You Tube to hear a song and four hours later, you're still on You Tube and a real long way from that original song. (This happens to me a lot.)

I have been writing about the second HMS Nimrod in my Not So Forgotten: War of 1812 blog.  The first HMS Nimrod captured a French privateer in 1807 and it was taken into the British Navy as the HMS Venturer.  Later it became the HMS Theodosia before being sold in 1814.

The next HMS Venturer wasn't until World War II and this one was a submarine.

From Wikipedia.

HMS VENTURER (P68)

Lead submarine of the British "V" Class.  Commissioned 18 August 1943.

Sank three Axis vessels in 1844, as well as the German submarine U-771 on 11 November 1944.

But what the Venturer is most noted for her her sinking of the U-864 with a torpedo while submerged, the first time ever that a submerged submarine had sunk an enemy submarine while it was also submerged.

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment