The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Tuesday, July 13, 2021

First U.S. Flag Carried Over Ludendorff Bridge-- Part 2

"To have the opportunity to have of that historical importance here at the Olympia Armory which is home to our State Guard, is really quite an honor," MG  McCarty says.

Corporal Gordon Galbraith survived the war and lived out his life in Greenville  where he held on to the flag.

Steve Roberts donated the flag said, "I am the brother-in-law of Corporal Galbraith and he gave me the flag when I was in high school.  So, I've had it since 1984.  I had it hanging on my wall and I just felt  like more people needed to appreciate it because I was the only one really seeing this flag and it meant  more than that.

The flag was restored and displayed by Carolina Conservation.

--GreGen


No comments:

Post a Comment