The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Sunday, March 19, 2023

Pearl Harbor Survivor Jack Holder Dies-- Part 2: Got Strafed

"I wondered if  this was the day that I  would die.  That morning I watched as Japanese  dive bombers  devastated Pearl Harbor.  I knew that we could no longer sit on the sidelines of the war ravaging Europe."

Holder began his naval career as a machinist's mate.  When he and his shipmates heard the explosions, they ran outside.  A Japanese pilot immediately tried to kill them.  As they dove into a ditch, a bomb hit a hangar by them.  The pilot then strafed the ditch.

"I could see him making his approach with the grinning white teeth and the leather helmet.  It's a memory I will never forget."

--GreGen


No comments:

Post a Comment