The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Saturday, June 8, 2024

80th Anniversary of D-Day-- Part 5: Bombing the Germans

"We did our job and we came home and that's it.  We never talked about it I think.  For 70 years I didn't talk about it," said Ralph Goldsticker, a U.S. Army Air Force captain who served in the 452nd Bomb Group.

Of the D-Day landings, he recalled seeing from his aircraft "a big chunk of the beach with thousands of vessels," and spoke of bombing raids against German strongholds and routes that German forces might otherwise have used to rush in reinforcements to push the invasion back into the sea.

"I dropped my first bomb at 06:58 a.m. n a heavy gun placement," he said.  "We went back home and landed at 9:30.  We reloaded."

--GreGen


No comments:

Post a Comment