The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Monday, January 16, 2012

USS Helena CL-50

In my history blog, I was recounting some of Doc's service on the USS Helena, which he said was not the cruiser I thought I knew about that was at Pearl Harbor. He said that Helena, also a cruiser, had been sunk during World War II.

So, I had to look it up. Thanks Wikipedia.

The USS Helena CL-50 was a light cruiser that received serious damage at Pearl Harbor, but was repaired and did see action before being sunk in 1943 at the Battle of Kula Gulf.

It had been commissioned in 1939, so was one of out newer warships.

The reason it sustained so much damage at Pearl Harbor was that it was in the berth the USS Pennsylvania usually was in. Of course, we know the Japanese had certainly done their homework before the attack and knew exactly where our ships were.

I'll write more about this ship later.

Gallant Warship. --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment