The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Friday, August 24, 2012

Returns Japanese Flag 67 Years Later

From the Dec. 16, 2011, WREG Channel 3 TV, Memphis, Tennessee "WWII Veteran Finds Peace by Returning Japanese Flag 67 Years Later" by Daniel Hight.

Carl Coker, 90, was a Marine on Guam and found a flag on a Japanese soldier.  He now wants to return it to return it to one of the families whose name is wriiten on it.

"Well I got me a Jap flag.  I didn't know if my buddies had any, but I thought I had a real trophy.  I don't need it anymore, but I have a yearning to get that flag to these people.

He contacted the Japanese consulate in Nashville who came and picked it up.  Some of the names on the flag are hard to read.  The flag will be shipped to Tokyo where it will be transcribed.  If a family can't be found, it will probably end up in a museum.

Regardless of whether relatives are found, that flag has a lot of history to it.

Since this article is eight months old now, I did a search to see if any of the families had been found and came up with nothing new.  I imagine it was a small flag as it was found in a Japanese helmet.

It Is the Right Thing to Do.  --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment