The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Friday, August 9, 2013

Two Tall Ships With World War II Connections Visit Chicago-- Part 2


STV UNICORN (USA)-- Sails the seas with the only all-female crew since 2007. Partners with Sisters Under Sail Corp. to deliver an empowerment and leadership program for teenage girls and women.

This ship was not built until after the war, when it was constructed in Holland in 1947 from recycled metals from captured German U-boats (I have also read scuttled U-boats).

It trawled North Atlantic fishing grounds for 32 years before being converted to a sailing ship. I wasn't able to find out any information on the German submarines, but I'm sure it would have an interesting story.

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment