The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Wilmington's Robert Taylor Housing / Chicago's Robert Taylor Housing


Back on October 8th, I wrote about public housing being built in Wilmington, NC, to accomodate the thousands of workers and military personnel who flocked to Wilmington during World War II. Indeed, Wilmington was very much involved in the war, despite being on the homefront for the United States. The city is actively pursuing the name of World War II City.

Some of the housing in those segregated days, was set aside for blacks, being the New Brooklyn Homes and later renamed the Robert R. Taylor Housing. I knew of a Robert R. Taylor Homes in Chicago and wondered if there were a connection.

There was.

I wrote about Robert Robinson Taylor in my Cooter's History Thing blog today.

Quite An Interesting Man, and Family. --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment