The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Friday, June 13, 2014

The Capture of the U-505, 70 Years Ago

This anniversary slipped by me, but I'll mention it now.

Seventy years ago, the U.S. Navy captured the German submarine U-505.  This was a rare capture as usually if forced to surrender, U-boats were scuttled, so very few were taken into Allied hands.

Even more importantly, the ship's code was captured and it became a top secret.  Even the crew was kept at a separate facility so the Germans thought the ship had been destroyed.

Another interesting thing about this ship is that it is one of the few German World War II U-boats, maybe the only one, still existing.

You can tour the museum ship at Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry.

I will write more extensively about it next week.

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment