The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Saturday, February 21, 2015

War Stamp Brides-- Part 1

Back on feb. 19th, I wrote about a Life Magazine with a picture of a bride with the title "War Stamp Bride."  I had not heard this term before.  I'd heard "war Brides," but not "War Stamp Bride."  I had to investigate further.  Sadly, there was no entry in Wikipedia for it so I had to do some more searching.

I found this account from the July 10, 1942, Lorain (Ohio) Journal  "Lorain to Have 'War Stamp Bide,' City Invited to Shower and Public Wedding Ceremony."

"All of Lorain is invited to a 'war stamp and bond shower for the city's first war stamp bride, Miss Irene Ketchum, 20, 1154 E. River St., Elyria.

"Climaxing Lorain's observance of Victory Corsage day today and tomorrow, Miss Ketchum will be married to Joseph G. Anthony, 21, Cleveland, in a public ceremony on the show window of the Smith and Gerhart Co..

"For the ceremony, the bride will carry  large war stamp corsage."

It was a part of a Victory Corsage Day in July 1942, "Retailers for Victory" national campaign to sell War Stamps and Bonds.

More to Come.  --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment