The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Fewer World War II Veterans Now

The last blog entry got me to thinking about the passing of a generation of our warriors.

When I was growing up in the 50s and 60s, it seemed that everyone of my parents' friends were World War II veterans, either having served or been involved on the home front.  I didn't think much of it.

My father was too young to fight as he graduated high school in 1946.  His brother was in the 101st Airborne at the Battle of the Bulge and one of only two to survive from his company at that battle.

I have been noting how fast the Greatest Generation has been passing away, especially the Pearl Harbor survivors, who are our oldest World War II veterans since it was the very first battle for the United States.  I now will post about Pearl Harbor deaths as soon as IO come across the obituary.  Pearl Harbor is the battle in the war where I have my biggest interest and a big reason why I started this blog in the first place.

In my Cooter's History Thing Blog I kept watch as the last of the World War I veterans died.  Both my grandfathers were in that one as well as a great uncle.

Keeping sentinel.  --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment