The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Thursday, May 19, 2016

I Met a World War II Veteran at Wal-Mart Today

I am sure glad that so many World War II veterans have begun wearing hats saying that they had served.  I usually make an effort to thank them and, even better, talk with them.

I was at the Wal-Mart in McHenry/Johnsburg, Illinois, and saw him sitting down on a chair.

I found out that he had served in the Pacific Theater and was now 89-years-old.  His face lit up when I approached him and asked of his service.

He said he had served on the USS Dent and USS Tortuga, LSD-26.

He was at Iwo Jima and Okinawa and saw more kamikazes that he ever hoped to see, saying how dangerous they were when the pilot was determined to die while crashing their plane into an American ship.

He even had the honor of shooting down one that was coming directly at his ship.

Always Thank a Veteran.  --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment