The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Friday, November 30, 2018

Fort Wood in New York Harbor During WW II


I have been writing about this fort in my Not So Forgotten: War of 1812 blog.  Today, Fort Wood is the base of the Statue of Liberty.

From FortWiki.

After WW I,  troops from it guarded and patrolled New York Harbor.  In 1924, the Statue of Liberty and Fort Wood were declared a National Monument and in 1933 they were transferred to the National Park Service.

The U.S. Army abandoned the post in 1937.

During World War II, the Coast Guard maintained an observation station on the old Fort Wood  statue base and after the war, the remaining military buildings were torn down.

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment