The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Pearl Harbor and Battle of the Bulge Survivor Turns 100-- George Murray-- Part 1


From the Fort Worth (Texas) Star-Telegram  "He survived Pearl Harbor and the Battle of the Bulge -- and his 100th birthday is here"  Gordon Dickson.

George Murray had been in the Army for two years without a break and was now at Schofield Barracks in Hawaii and had begum a seven day leave on December 5, when, on December 7, 1941, the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor.  He was about ten miles away on the other side of Oahu enjoying being a tourist.

"I made it back to the company as best I could."

That company was Company A, 1st Separate Chemical Battalion.

"It took me about an hour and a half, using a variety of transportation such as a taxi or bus.  When I got there I found we had no casualties, although a bomb had been dropped not too far from our barracks."

Of special interest since I have been writing about the U.S. Army's Chemical Warfare unit and Camp Sibert in the last couple weeks.  No doubt George Murray would gave been there.

--GreGen


No comments:

Post a Comment