The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Death of WASP Dorothy Olsen-- Part 4: Group Finally Gets Veteran Benefits and Gold Medal


The WASPs were disbanded in 1944, the year before the war ended.  Only in 1977 did they receive full veterans' benefits, and only in 2010 did they receive the recognition that their admirers thought to be their due, with the conferral of the Congressional Gold Medal, the nation's second highest military honor.

"I was doing what I loved.  And I was lucky," Olsen told KOMO News.  "I loved it.  Every minute."

Dorothy Eleanor Kocher was born in Woodburn, Oregon, on July 10, 1916.  She became hooked on aviation after riding a biplane at a state fair and thereafter spent "all her available rime and money" on flying lessons," according to her daughter.

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment