The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Death of WASP Dorothy Olsen-- Part 3: Buzzed the Base


In some cases, WASPs flew captured German and Japanese planes that had been transported back to the United States to be tested for their capabilities and vulnerabilities.

A total of 38 WASPs died during the war.

"The government didn't treat us very well, Olsen related.  "A bay mate was killed in a plane crash and the rest of us had to take up a collection to get her body back to Portland because they wouldn't pay for it."

Dorothy Olsen said she flew twenty types of planes during the war and became known for her moxie she brought to her sky duties.  At least once she flew her plane upside down for a thrill.

Another time the beauty of the nighttime sky overcame her:  "The moonlight came over Texas, and I was able to get big band music.  It was the closest to heaven I have ever been," she said.  "When I saw the lights of Coolidge Runway, I was excited and I came in low and buzzed the base before landing.   It was 11 o'clock during wartime, and I guess I woke up everybody.  The commander had a few words with me."

Wonder What He Said?  --GreGen


No comments:

Post a Comment