The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Wednesday, August 12, 2020

McHenry's Keep the Spirit of '45 Alive 2020 Commemoration-- Part 2: Come On, We need More Publicity About the Event


I just found out about the ceremony the night before it took place this past Sunday, August 9.  We were at Sunnyside Tavern in Johnsburg, Illinois, when my buddy Mark showed a copy of the commemoration events.  I knew right then I was going to attend.  Again, it is something I do in remembrance of what truly was the Greatest Generation (which is also my sign-off for this blog, GreGen in case you're wondering) and it is so sad to see them leaving us at such high numbers these days.  Even the youngest WW II veterans are around 95.

This year, instead of all the ceremony taking place at Veterans Park in McHenry as it has always done before, there was to be a flagpole and flag dedication at four local cemeteries which did not have them.  It was to take place one after the other from 10 am to 1 pm.

I made the mistake of not writing the times and places down as I figured I'd have no problem finding this information on the computer at home.

BIG MISTAKE

I should have known better.  Even though this is a really large ceremony, one of if not the very largest in the state and country (where sadly the vast majority of towns and cities have nothing), there is very little publicity of any sort.  Every year, I have a difficult time finding out any particulars about it.  But, at least I knew where it would be.

But, this year it was a moving commemoration and I needed to know where and at what time it would be.

I checked Yahoo Search, but only found information about the past nine or ten years.  Nothing for 2020.  This event is put on by McHenry's three veterans organizations:  the American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars and Polish Legion of American Veterans.  So I checked their websites.  Nothing.  Then I checked the City of McHenry and McHenry County websites, but again, nothing.

--GreGen


No comments:

Post a Comment