The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Wednesday, October 5, 2022

WW II Unit Receives Long-Overdue Recognition-- Part 2: Fannie McClendon

"Our battalion was determined to bring cheer and hope to our soldiers.  So when we first arrived in Birmingham, England, we worked in round-the-clock shifts, seven days a week, and in only three months we cleared up a backlog of around 17 million pieces of mail.  That was two times faster than the Army thought we could get it done.

"During the war, we also served in France.  After the war, I joined the Air Force.  I was in line to become a squadron commander, but every time I got assigned, they would send me for more training.  But, that's all right.  At training camp in Cheyenne, Wyoming, is where I met my late husband, Roy.  

"And, eventually, I did get that promotion.  I became the first woman to lead an all-male squadron in the Strategic Air Command."

Not to mention that she was a black woman and to rise to that rank and command back then was nothing short of amazing.

Quite a Woman.  --GreGen


No comments:

Post a Comment