The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Friday, October 7, 2022

WW II Unit Receives Long-Overdue Recognition-- Part 3: Fannie McClendon

"All told, I was in the service for 26 1/2 years and never thought about getting any special honors.  I am amazed that I'll be receiving the Congressional Gold Medal for our service during the war.

"Every member of the 6888th will receive one.  I'm only sorry that out of more than 800 battalion members, only a handful of us are still living to see this day.

"I'm grateful to have lived an amazing life, but what matters most is what all those letters represented: staying connected to the ones we hold dear."

She certainly has lived an amazing life and especially with the things she accomplished while being a woman and especially being a black woman.  Talk about obstacles overcome.

A Proud Member of the GreGen, the Greatest Generation.  --GreGen


No comments:

Post a Comment