The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Just Finished the Book "Danger's Hour"-- Part 1

I am not a fast reader, especially of non-fiction books where I constantly stop to think about what I have just read. So it took me quite awhile to finish this very interesting book by Maxwell Taylor Kennedy.

I had bought it last April, when my local Borders Book Store was closing down. For some reason I find myself buying more and more World War II books and I don't need to be buying any more books as I am getting old and really should be getting rid of stuff, not buying more.

The book is 513 pages so is not a short one. I just now saw as I was looking to see how many pages there were, a really great diagram of the ship at the very end of the book, which anyone reading will find helpful. However, the author does a great job of explaining the ship in words, so I was able to picture where every place was in the huge aircraft carrier on my own.

This book, as Kennedy tells it, is a micro-history of one event of World War II, one of the most devastating kamikaze attacks to take place in the last year of the war. What I initially liked about the book, besides its being about the Naval War in the Pacific where my Main interest has always been, but, as the subtitle says: "The Story of the USS Bunker Hill and the Kamikaze Pilot Who Crippled Her."

After I bought it, I also saw that Maxwell Taylor Kennedy is the son of former US Senator, Attorney General and presidential candidate, Robert Kennedy.

Another Kennedy with some real talent.

More to Come. --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment