The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Passing of the Last World War I Veteran

Even though this blog is devoted to World War II, it should be noted that the very last veteran of World War I, as far as is known, Florence Green, has died at age 110, just two weeks short of her 111th birthday.

I have followed the passing of the last of the World War II veterans, including the death of the last actual combatant, Claude Choules of the Royal Navy and the last US one, Frank Buckles, and others for the last three years.

You can find accounts of them, including more information on Mrs. Green on my Cooter's History Blog. Look up the World War I labels, particularly World War I survivors. Click on it on My Blogs.

The Passing of a Generation. --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment