The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Fooled Me Until I Saw the Dates

I came across an article in the Feb. 6th LaCrosse (Wi) Tribune about Chief Petty Officer Troy M. Olafson retiring from the US Navy after having served on these ships:

USS Pittsburgh
USS Helena
USS Maryland
USS North Carolina

I'm thinking World War II, until I saw the dates. He graduated from hish school in 1991 and joined the Navy the same year. He retired November 11th.

Turns out, the vessels he served on were all submarines, instead of the cruisers and battleships I at first thought (and there were Navy ships in World War II by all of these names. And, they were all nuclear subs.

USS Pittsburgh SSN-720
USS Helena SSN-775
USS Maryland SSBN-738
USS North Carolina SSN-777

Oh Well. --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment