The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Friday, March 9, 2012

The 150th Anniversary of the Battle of the Ironclads

Today marks the 150th anniversary of the Battle of the Ironclads, the USS Monitor Versus the CSS Virginia.

This battle turned a page for Naval architecture and technology, ending the age of sail and wood and bringing in that of steam and steel. Not only that, but all warships, even during World War II and today, have guns mounted in turrets. Of course, that was a breakthrough of the Monitor.

I had three blog entries today on my Civil War Naval Blog, Running the Blockade, which you can access on Blogs I Follow next to this.

Otherwise http://runningtheblockade.blogspot.com

Quite a Day in Navy and World History. --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment