The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Saturday, December 12, 2015

USS Tennessee Survivor, Adolph Hengl, Remembers-- Part 2: Looking for His Brother

Even more important to Adolph Hengl was finding his younger brother, Virgil, who was also serving on the USS Tennessee.

Mr. Hengl continued, "Unknown to me Virgil had gone aboard the USS West Virginia (moored alongside the Tennessee) to make plans with a friend he'd gone to high school with.  I couldn't find him for the longest time,

"I finally  saw him coming across the gang plank back to the Tennessee.

"The West Virginia was starting to go over, but they sank it straight down so it could be salvaged."

December 26, 2015, will be Adolph Hengl's 99th birthday and he is believed to be the oldest living Pearl Harbor battleship survivor.

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment