The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Friday, April 1, 2022

USS Luzon (PG-47)(PR-7): Not the One I Was Looking For

Probably not a ship from World War II that you have ever heard of before.  I know I hadn't.

This ship's history intersected with that of the submarine USS Sealion (SS-195) which was sunk when the Japanese attacked the Philippines in December 1941.

But, the Sealion was not the reason I came across the Luzon.  That all started in my Not So Forgotten:  War of 1812 blog.  I was looking for the Gunboat No. 47 that Richard Hill served on board in the New York Flotilla during that war.  As of now, I still haven't found anything about it, but came across this ship because of the PG-47 ship's number.

It has an interesting and not well-known history so I am going to write about it here.  In addition, it was a sister ship of the USS Panay as in the Panay Incident.

You can find the blog entries about Richard Hill in my February and March Not So Forgotten blog.  Go to the right of this and click that blog to go directly to it.

By the way, Richard Hill was a black sailor.

--GreGe


No comments:

Post a Comment