The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Monday, September 19, 2022

What Became of the USS Oklahoma Marine Platoon?

From the November, 1942, Marine Corps Recruiter.

In the last post, I wrote about a platoon of Marines referred to as the USS Oklahoma Platoon in honor of the Marine detachment serving on the battleship USS Oklahoma when it capsized during the attack on Pearl Harbor.  This was the only additional information I could find out about it.

Caption to a picture.

"Display  Aids in Recruiting Station.

"In connection with the recruiting drive to enlist the USS Oklahoma Platoon, enlisted in honor of the men of the Marine Detachment of the battleship USS Oklahoma who were killed at Pearl Harbor, and the western premiere of  the film "Wake Island," this display was arranged in a Tulsa, Okla., store window."

This is all I have been able to find on this group.  I'd sure like to know more.

--GreGen


No comments:

Post a Comment