The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Saturday, August 16, 2014

USS Wisconsin (BB-64) vs. USS Eaton (DD-510) May 6, 1956-- Part 1

From Wikipedia.

A battleship runs into the side of a destroyer.  Who do you think will win?  But, the battleship sure got a bite taken out of its bow.  Quite a photo of the Wisconsin's bow after the collision.

I hadn't heard of this collision before the Keep the Spirit of '45 Alive ceremony in McHenry this past Sunday, so did further research looking up the histories of both ships.  In my last entry I wrote about the bugler who served on the Wisconsin telling me the story.

On May 6, 1956, the battleship USS Wisconsin collided with the destroyer Eaton in a heavy fog and was forced to put into Norfolk, Virginia, with heavy bow damage.  Once there, a 120 ton, 68-foot section of the bow of the uncompleted Iowa-class battleship Kentucky was grafted onto the Wisconsin in an amazing 16 days and the ship was ready for the sea again on June 28th.

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment