The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Saturday, August 8, 2015

Keep the Spirit of '45 Alive in McHenry, Illinois, on Sunday

This Sunday, August 9, 2015, McHenry, Illinois, will again host a huge ceremony in downtown Veterans Park.  Each year this draws hundreds of people, including many members of the Greatest Generation.

Once again, i will be there.  I wouldn't miss it.  In my own small way this is my way to show respect to the people who lived through both the Great depression and World War II.

Making this even more special is that this also marks the 70th anniversary of Japan's surrender after the atom bombs were dropped.

However, this always takes place on the same Sunday as Johnsburg's St. John's Church has their annual Parish Fest, so I have to come from there.  I wish they would have Parish Fest on a different day.

-GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment