The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Monday, August 10, 2015

Keep the Spirit of '45 Alive in McHenry, August 9-- Part 1

I left the Parish Fest in nearby Johnsburg, Illinois, to go to this event in McHenry's Veterans Park.  This was my third time there.  I wish that the Parish Fest would be held on a different day as I always have to leave and hour and a half early.

But, i wouldn't miss this as it is my way of saying thanks to the Greatest Generation.  This is why I sign off each of these blogs as GreGen, short for it.

I parked nearby and carried my folding chair to the park, stopping along the way to buy a hamburger from the Polish Legion of American Veterans.  They are rebuilding their place, which caught fired and was destroyed back on Mother's Day 2014.  I told them I was looking forward to the place reopening, especially for their fantastic Sunday breakfast buffets.  The last one I had been at was on that fire day.

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment