The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

James J. Steinsdoerfer, One of the Five Brothers Who Served from McHenry

Yesterday, I wrote about the five Steinsdoerfer brothers serving in the U.S. military from McHenry County, Illinois, during World War II.  At first I wasn't able to find out anything but eventually came across and article and obituary for a person I believe to have been one of them.

James J. Steinsdoerfer, 81.  Died in 2003.  He is buried in Woodland Cemetery in McHenry, Illinois.  This would have put him at 22 in 1944.  He died June 7, 2003 and was born March 15, 1922 in McHenry.  He had enlisted in the Army on Dec. 28, 1942, at Fort Miles, Delaware and served at the Battle of the Bulge in the 52nd Coast Artillery.

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment