The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Some More On the Famous "Nuts!" Reply-- Part 3: Wounded and Had Good Typing Skills

Edward Ihlenfeld's daughter, Christy Breihan said:  "He was in midair and they could see bullets flying back and forth.  he remembered thinking, 'I hope I get hit somewhere that doesn't kill me.'  It got him in the leg right below the knee.

This is what took him off the front lines and got him a clerical job because he also had good typing skills.  That is how he ended up typing the famous response.

He enjoyed going to 101st Airborne Reunions and talking with old friends.  For many years, he just talked about the good times in the war, but more recently had begun talking about other things.

What You call a Million Dollar Wound.  --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment