The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Monday, June 8, 2015

Marine Raider Reunion in Wilmington

From August 14, 2013, WWAY 3 ABC, Wilmington, N.C. "World War II Marine Raiders reunite in Wilmington" by Holden Kurwick.

Japan surrendered on this date in 1945.

The first special forces unit in U.S. military history was the Marine Raiders.

PFC Kenneth "Mudhole" Merrell, "It was a tough outfit.  That's all it was.  I wasn't tough, but the guys I served with was, I guarantee you."

PFC Charles Meachem said they were the first to have dog handlers and Navajo Code Talkers.

A total of 8,000 served in this unit over the course of the war and just 4,000 returned.

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment