The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Wreck of the USS Indianapolis Found-- Part 4: Sunk by Japanese Submarine I-58

**  The loss of the USS Indianapolis is still the single largest United States war loss at sea.

**  The USS Indianapolis Survivors Association just had their 72nd anniversary reunion in Indianapolis, Indiana, from July 27-July 30.

**  The people who found the ship are on the Research Vessel Petrel, owned by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen.

**  The Japanese submarine IJN I-58 fired two torpedoes.

**  The I-58 was surrendered to the U.S. and scuttled 1 April 1946.

**  It's wreck was found just three months before the wreck of the Indianapolis was discovered, May 25, 2017.

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment