The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Friday, September 15, 2017

Sycamore Vet Recounts Pearl Harbor-- Part 4: Six Blankets and Couldn't Get Warm


Burton Miller went on to serve in England, France and Belgium, where he conveyed orders and communications during the Battle of the Bulge, the last major German offensive campaign of World War II.

One of the barracks in Belgium that he was in was an old chicken house where the soldiers had to endure the cold winter.  "I had six blankets and I couldn't get warm," Burton remembered.

Burton then had to go to the hospital, although he can't remember why.

"That was after Hitler took over Europe," he said.  "We had our fighter planes that went from England to France and then to Belgium supporting our troops, chasing Hitler at the time.  And when I got to Belgium, I had to go to the hospital, and when I came back, the war was over."

He married Bernice in 1946 and lived in Chicago for about sixty years.

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment