The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pearl Harbor Experiences

I'm getting as many of these in the blog as I can as the number of survivors is dropping rapidly.

From the Dec. 10, 2010, Manila Bulletin.

MERL RESLER, 88 fired shots at the Japanese planes from the USS Maryland and remembers standing in blood of shipmates hit by shrapnel.  "My teeth were chattering like I was freezing to death and it was 84 degrees temperature.  It was awful frightful."

DeWAYNE CHARTIER, 93, was going to church when the attack took place.

From the Dec. 8, 2010, Arkansas Times Record.

BILL CHASE, 86, was 17 that day at Pearl Harbor and recovering from the measles in the Naval hospital and had just finished breakfast and was cleaning the galley, "The head nurse heard the planes and the bombs go off and she said, 'My God, we're at war!"

He was an apprentice seaman on the aircraft carrier USS Lexington.  "Things happened so fast.  Planes blowed up. Buildings blowed up.  Ships blowed up."

Losing the Greatest Generation.  --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment