The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Friday, December 7, 2012

My Visit to "the Tears of the Arizona"

Several years ago, I had the opportunity to go to Oahu thanks to Mom.  Of course, the biggest thing I wanted to do was to go to Pearl Harbor and out to the Arizona Memorial.  And this was considerably before I ever considered having a blog devoted solely to World War II.

I am a huge history buff, especially of all things military, and of all the battles, I am probably most interested in Pearl Harbor.  I was probably one of the few teachers in the country who observed the Pearl Harbor attack.  What began as a 15-minute talk, eventually morphed into a three-day lesson, even when i was teaching geography.

When we got to the old museum (a new one has since been built) there was an unbelievably long line.  I don't do lines as a rule, but definitely did this one.  Admission was free and we had time to see a film and walk around the museum which had many items of interest.  I especially was impressed by the scale model of the Arizona.  There was also a submarine tied up by the museum, on whose land it sat did not exist at the time of the battle but was created by fill.

Next, the Arizona.  --GreGen 

No comments:

Post a Comment