The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Saturday, October 5, 2013

War Bomber Flight Sparks Memories-- Part 4


Continued from September 28th.

After his 32nd mission, knowing he was done, Scott Welch, a former B-17 pilot, said, "I was very happy to be done with combat. I wasn't foolish enough to want to spend my life in combat because it was so risky."

His wife of 69 years, Phyllis, accompanied him on the flight. It was the first time the couple from Silver Lake, Wisconsin, had been on a B-17 together.

"I enjoyed [Phyllis] being there, said Welch. They held hands during the flight as they stood behind the co-pilot's seat, where he would have sat in 1943. "It was exciting for me and brought back memories."

Too bad Scott Welch didn't get a chance to actually fly the plane.

A Great Experience. --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment