The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Saturday, March 21, 2015

New York's Grand Central Palace

From Wikipedia.

I had never heard of this building when I wrote about it earlier today for my February Calendar blog entry about the World War posters.

It was an exhibition hall in New York City built in 1911, replacing an earlier Grand Central Palace on the same site.  Standing 13 stories tall and occupying Lexington Avenue between 46th and 47th Streets.  It was built over the railroad tracks leading into the Grand Central Terminal.

It served as New York City's main exposition hall until it closed in 1953.  In the late 1920s, early 1930s, the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show was held here

Besides dances and the hospital mentioned in the previous blog, it also served as an induction center during World War II.  many physical fitness exams were given here.  I was unable to find out any other information about its role during the two world wars, but being by the railroads, I am sure many military personnel passed through it.

It was demolished in 1964 to make way for 245 Park Avenue building which has 48 floors and was completed in 1967.

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment