The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

The "Mighty Mo's" Place At the End of World War II-- Part 6: No Time to Celebrate

When it was all over, James Starnes felt tremendously elated.  "I'd gotten through all of it-- I had a lot of friends who died-- and here it was over."

Even as happy as he was, he showed none of it, saying, "I was on duty.  I wasn't in a position to jump up and celebrate.  I had to write the log after the ceremony."

After the war, he went back to Emory University and went on to have a successful career in real estate and banking.

He went back to Pearl Harbor a decade ago to celebrate the 60th anniversary of V-J Day on the USS Missouri and last year published a short book, "Surrender: September 2, 1945."  In it he chronicles his wartime experience.

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment