The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Bedford Boy's D-Day Loss Still Casts Shadow on Virginia Town-- Part 2: "Where Are My Boys?"

Several years later, her mother had a stroke and would say, "Where are my boys?  Lucille Bogess', their sister, told the reporter, "I want to cry telling you that."

The country's National D-Day Memorial is in Bedford, Virginia, because of the loss.

One of the 35 Bedford Boys is Allen Huddleston, but he wasn't at D-Day because of an ankle injury during training.  However, he did see action in Normandy later.

Sergeant Roy Steven and his twin brother Ray were in different boats at D-Day.  The boats landed, but only Roy survived.

This year the town dedicated a new sculpture to their "Bedford Boys."

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment