The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Monday, April 6, 2020

Remains of Grayslake (Illinois) Sailor Killed at Pearl Harbor Identified-- Part 1: Herbert B. Jacobson, 21


From the March 16, 2020, Chicago Daily Herald by Russell Lissau.

This one is of special interest to me because I lived for 17 years in Round Lake Beach, which is next to Grayslake.  We still live within thirty miles of that village.  Until I found out he was going to be buried at Arlington National Cemetery I planned to go to his funeral if it was in the area.

Navy Fireman 3rd Class Herbert B. Jacobson's remains have been identified some 78 years after his death.  He was one of the USS Oklahoma's Unknowns after December 7, 1941.  These were the men whose remains could not be identified after the ship was finally raised some two years later.

DNA, dental records  and other analysis were used to confirm his remains.

After receiving multiple torpedo hits, the Oklahoma capsized and 429 sailors aboard her lost their lives.

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment