The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Japanese Submarine I-19-- Part 1: Sank the USS Wasp, USS O'Brien and Damaged the USS North Carolina All in One Day


In the timeline on the battleship USS North Carolina I mentioned that it was damaged by the Japanese submarine I-19, which at the same time sank the aircraft carrier USS Wasp and destroyer  USS O'Brien.  Quite a haul for any submarine any time, any where.

From Wikipedia.

The I-19 was a Japanese Type B1 submarine  During the Guadalcanal Campaign, with a single torpedo salvo, she sank the USS Wasp, USS O'Brien and damaged the USS North Carolina.

It was completed April 28, 1941 and took part in the attack on Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941.

On September 15, 1942, while patrolling off the south coast of the Solomon Islands, the I-19 spots a task force of American ships including the carrier Wasp, battleship North Carolina and destroyer O'Brien.  A salvo of six torpedoes were fired.  Three hit the Wasp causing heavy damage so bad that it had to be scuttled.  Other torpedoes hit the North Carolina and O'Brien.

Like I said, that was some good shooting.

--GreGen


No comments:

Post a Comment